Lepant Law Office, PC, LLO facebook page
in Beatrice: (402) 223-4071
in Fairbury: (402) 729-3368

Lepant Law Office

Guardianship and/or Conservatorship



Guardianships for an adult are used to ensure that a person's welfare is maintained when that person is unable to make important decisions about his or her care and will not cooperate with his or her caregiver.  In a guardianship proceeding, a guardian is appointed to care for another person, known as the ward.  There are conditions that need to be met in establishing that a guardian should be appointed and there are requirements after appointment. 


Guardianships for minors are established when the child’s parent is unable or unwilling to care for the child.  Every minor must have a parent or guardian to make decisions for them, to provide necessities of life, including medical care and schooling.  In Nebraska a minor is anyone under the age of nineteen (19), while in Kansas minors are anyone under the age of eighteen (18).  An alternative to a guardianship for minors is a Durable Power of Attorney, executed by the minor’s parent.




In a conservatorship, a person is appointed by the court as a manager of the business affairs and property of a person who is unable to make rational financial decisions.  As in a guardianship, there are conditions that must be met before a court will appoint a conservator.  A conservator is under stringent requirements mandated by the court, including voluminous annual reports.  We can guide you through this process and ensure that all reports are completed correctly.

Lepant Law Office, PC, LLO in Beatrice, NE
Schwab & Lepant in Fairbury, NE